Friday, February 25, 2011

My Least Favorite Job

As a parent, my least favorite job has got to be potty training, hands down.  Jakob took about 6 months.  In retrospect, some of his issues I'm sure had to do with his having Autism.  As a first time parent, it was simply a small sample of, well, a very hot and unpleasant place.  The twins were pretty good to me.  One day I put gates up around the kitchen, put two potty chairs on the floor and told them if they wanted their toys they had to learn to go potty.  They were done, bar an occasional accident overnight, that day.  Abigail has now started this job for me.  If she's somewhere in the middle of the other two potty training sessions, I'll be content. I try to see the humor in things, so here's a little snippet for you.

After taking Abigail upstairs for a nap, it was quiet for about 15 minutes.  Then I hear "Momom!  Momom!", and some fussing.  Now, since Abigail rarely fusses I always check, since it's likely that something is bugging her.  Sometimes the kitten has sneaked into her room.  Sometimes she's missing her teddy bear.  Sometimes she's gotten her hair stuck in a button or something.

Today I open her door to a truly interesting sight; Abigail standing without a stitch of clothes on, signing "potty!".   I scooped her up out of the crib and dashed into the bathroom and set her on the toilet.  Her crib sheet was damp, but not too bad.  I didn't want her to see me laugh, because I don't want her to think that it's a good thing to disrobe and take her diaper off and parade around while she wets.

On the other hand, it was pretty funny.  I cleaned her up and put fresh diaper and clothes on once she was finished and she's up there napping (lucky girl!).  The good news is, she's wanting to use the potty.  The bad news is, I think I'll be changing a lot of sheets.  Small price to pay, in the long run, for an end to diapers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment