Saturday, October 8, 2011

A day late...

... and a dollar short". Maybe that should be my new mantra :)

Abbie Story:
Cassidy had a friend to stay overnight. She brought her hand-held video game along with her (I don't know which one, exactly). Well, Abigail discovered that amazing little piece of technology. She decided to show us all just what she can do by figuring out how to use it! She had a blast taking pictures and video, and found the drawing tool as well. Go Abbie! I think she's been holding out on me, learning all these skills and not telling me ;)

I've missed a few days blogging with sleepovers, visits to farms, Boy Scout and Girl Scout plans and activities, and LYO activities. Tomorrow promises to be just as jam-packed with "things to accomplish".

Lessons Learned:
The last few days, I've been pondering the uses of facts and figures. I've been trying to place a fact every day on my FB page to help spread knowledge even more. I sit and read facts and figures and basically came up with this question... "What do they MEAN?!".

I think that, in and of themselves, numbers are neutral. It's what we do with them that makes them good or bad. For instance, I could tell you that I had to tell one of my kids 20 times this week where his shoes were. It might sound excessive unless I also tell you that last week, I had to tell him 40 times. I could use these numbers to paint a poor picture, or I could use these numbers to celebrate an accomplishment.

It's my choice.

So many medical journals and web sites cite statistics about DS as if the numbers alone are some mystic, all-knowing force. For example.. "40 percent have heart defects"... I haven't yet seen anyone state that 60 percent do not have heart defects.

It's my perspective.

I also take issue with Dr.'s that say things such as "your child WILL have heart defects, hearing loss, strabismus, bowel problems, etc., etc. etc.". How do they know? Most children with Down syndrome have a little of this, or a little of that, or a little of everything, or almost nothing. They DO NOT KNOW. Maybe that's why it's such a frightening diagnosis for parents. We have no reassurances and no answers. Sometimes it's very, very difficult to take that leap of faith off the edge of a cliff over crashing waves.

It's my privilege and great joy to have taken that leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment