Monday, June 27, 2011

How Time Flies

Time to reminisce a bit, so if you don't like schmaltz, you've been given fair warning ;)

Thirteen years ago today, just about this time of night, I went into labor with our first child. We didn't know beforehand if it was going to be a boy or a girl. We just knew we wanted and loved our baby. My water broke about 10 pm, and we were in the hospital somewhere around midnight. My labor progressed fairly quickly, and at 3:43 a.m., with no drugs and no epidural, Jakob was born.

What a monumental phrase... Jakob was born. Wow. What an amazing, beautiful little 6 lb 14 oz. gift he was. Little did we know what a delightful boy and wonderful young man he would become. He had long hair when he was born that stuck straight up, no matter how much you combed it. His uncle used to call him "Kramer" for his hair. After a few months, his hair turned bright red before it settled into a nice golden brown. His littlest sister has the exact same hair color, with red highlights. I love it.

Over the past few months Jakob has been growing by leaps and bounds. He'll be as tall as I am soon. How time flies... my angels have grown so much, and taught me so much, and given me so much more than they'll ever realize. That includes, of course, the streak of grey hair and sleepless nights of worry, but that's ok :) I'd do it over again in a heartbeat for them.

A Very Happy Birthday (in just a few short hours!) to my Jakob. Time might fly, but I'm so grateful and proud that we've been the ones to take this flight with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment