Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hissy Fits

When I mentioned wanting to have one the other day, Kyle wanted to know what a Hissy Fit was.

Well, have you ever seen a cat that's been startled or aggravated enough that they start doing that little dance on their toes, backing up as if they're on little bitty springs, switching from their left side to their right, switching their tail all over, and hissing and spitting? Yes? Well, there you go.

Lots of noise and complaining and posturing, but really not much substance. It seems to me that it's a cat's way of saying "darn it all, I don't want to!" or "no, that's not how it's supposed to happen!". That's pretty much how I've felt, lately. Not a pretty or encouraging sight, I know. Sometimes I just feel like hissing and spitting and growling and waving my hands in the air going "no! no! no!".

Of course, I'm not allowed to do that, since I'm a Mom. We won't even begin to go into how silly it would look if I did, and how utterly ineffectual it would be any way. However, sometimes just the secret wish of doing so is a stress reliever, and makes me laugh because I think of my cat doing her little toe-dance that looks so funny. Once you can laugh, it's easier to let go of all the frustrations that build up.

I think I could use a good laugh about now. I think I'll go have myself a little hissy fit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment